Old July 9th 20, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Near Miss of the Day 438: Horsebox driver overtakes cyclist soclosely that rider could bang the door

On Thursday, July 9, 2020 at 4:45:54 AM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
On Thursday, 9 July 2020 00:18:57 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 08/07/2020 19:27, Simon Mason wrote:
Police have been informed.
QUOTE:
Some close passes are closer than others - including the one in this video in which the driver of a horsebox overtook a cyclist so closely that the rider was able to bang on the door as the vehicle passed him.

The incident was filmed last Thursday 2 July on the B4109 Hinckley Road, near Hinckley Junction with the M69 just inside Warwickshire.

It was filmed by road.cc reader Lewis, who said that the "HGV horsebox started to overtake opposite a junction with an oncoming car which the driver forced onto the verge on their side of the road.

"The driver just missed hitting me with the wing (sic) mirror and was close enough for me to reach out and slap on the door."

It's noticeable that the motorist following the horsebox, who will have seen what happened, gave Lewis a lot of space as they overtook.

No-one wants their car damaged by a vandal on a bike, even if it's a
company vehicle.

There is a simple way to avoid that, leave cyclists room as the Highway Code requires.
I wonder how they would feel if a vehicle passed that close when they were riding their horses.

Here is a handy guide from the HC.

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/uplo...a-car_orig.jpg