Old March 16th 19, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Eric Pozharski

Default The death of rim brakes?

with John B Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 15:24:05 +1100, James
wrote:

*SKIP*
And rim brake callipers that go around fat tyres often flex a lot and
don't work so well. So disc brakes for fat tyre bikes are a better
choice, and rim brakes for racing bikes with skinny tyres are pretty
good.

Don't use calipers. Try cantilever or the more modern Shimano
V-brakes. They don't care how wide the tire is.

Of course they (v-brakes) do. My success story.

My prefered LBS (at the moment, they've changed their ways) had really
brain-dead parking -- right triangle from side-view, with very narrow
parking holes, with maybe 30cm height. My 700Cx49 just couldn't
possibly fit in. What effectively disabled me from reaching (with 180cm
cable) front wheel.

So, one day, I park with this abomination, do my LBS stuff, unpark, and
ride away. And then over each change in road's smoothness (natural or
not) I detect some unusual sound. That made me wonder. At some point I
had to go on a curb, so I was looking around front wheel and then,..

Holy Chain! As I lift fork I see front wheel droping out dropouts
(quick-release had been involved), is blocked by v-brakes, hits a
sidewalk, and is placed back into dropouts.

I speculate that some random dude (with evil intentions) undid
quick-release as this bike was parked and had found out he had to
release v-brakes, then exhaust tyre, and only then he could possibly
labour the wheel out (because neither releasing nor exhausting help
much, these steps just enable). And getting real dirty on the way.

That's how V-Brakes Save The Day!

p.s. Also, example of proper quoting.