Old March 11th 17, 11:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default cassette clockwise arrow 40 nm

On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 4:44:46 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 12:08:50 -0800, Joerg

On 2017-03-07 16:27, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 08:21:06 -0800, Joerg

On 2017-03-06 17:00, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Joerg wrote:

[...]

... isn't this like a poor-man's torque wrench and much more complicated
at that?

No, it is very practical. I try to be a minimalist with many things. Why
buy and store a torque wrench when it is not truly needed? Then there is
the ratchet mechanism. When it gets old how do you know it is still
accurate? The suitcase scale I can easily check.

I might comment that at one time I worked in the Edwards AFB (USAF
Test Center) shops where we had a "Torque Wrench Shop" where the guy
tested and recalibrating torque wrenches. I once asked him how many of
the torque wrenches turned in for calibration actually needed
adjustment. He said "all of them, even the new ones".

Exactly what I meant. I never really trusted those things which is why I
never bought one.

On the other hand installing and correctly tightening 56 spark plugs
in one engine is difficult to do without some sort of instrumented
device :-)

The calibration bench was simply a shaft with an arm to which weights
were added :-)

Bingo! Got to keep life simple.

It is called a "dead weight tester" and is commonly used where exact
measurements are required :-)

John, I don't remember anyone using torque wrenches to install the spark plugs into a Wright Cyclone 14 cylinder twin row radial engine. And I know WHY they used four plugs per cylinder. You would develop a "calibrated" arm. The copper gaskets gave you a lot of room for torque error.