Old June 29th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Bumps and efficiency

SYJ wrote:

Do bumpy road surfaces typically exact costs in riding efficiency?
While doing a loop that I've ridden dozens of times, I noticed that my
speed had dropped almost two MPH from my norm on a section that had
recently been chip sealed (as opposed to the baby's butt smooth
pavement that existed previously). I didn't feel especially cooked (at
least, no more than usual), there didn't seem to be any wind, and I was
able to ramp the speed back up to normal after turning off the choppy
surface, all of which led me to question whether it was indeed the
bumpiness that was affecting me.

Does anyone have any similar anecdotes?

Yes. Around here road maintenance is by county. At many places one can
cross a county line and go from chip seal to smooth pavement or
vice-versa.

Transitioning to smooth pavement is more than enough to shift up a gear,
despite no change in grade or wind direction.

Mark