Old November 4th 17, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Why do some forks and frames have brake rotor size limits?

On 2017-11-03 17:47, John B. wrote:

[...]

Somehow, I don't think that you are correct.

So you honestly think that a bike where the levers bottom out while
the wheels are still not locked up is "safe to go"?

If that's true I am glad you are no longer maintaining aircraft. I
have a very different philosophy about safety.

Aside from ABS, I agree -- and as a matter of fact, getting my new
and awesome Trek up and running, the rear caliper brake (direct
mount) bottomed out at the lever without locking up the wheel. WTF?
That's no good. It's a complex brake, but the problem was simple --
the last run of the cable housing was about a half-inch too short. I
dropped in a new section, did some minor adjustment and voila -- I'm
skidding down the road, which actually isn't too difficult because
the pavement is wet.

It should also be lockable with a guy 50lbs heavier than you, wearing a
large backpack and planted fully on the seat.

It's odd being on rim brakes after being on discs exclusively for the
last four months, since my SuperSix bit the dust. I haven't ridden
the bike much because its been raining, and I just got it, but I do
worry about braking a spoke with the pads running so close to the
rim.

How can the pads get into the spokes? That could cause a major OTB crash.

Poorly written. What I mean is that if you break a spoke and get a wobbly rim, then it's hard to clear the pads -- even with QR cams open. That's not a problem with discs.

-- Jay Beattie.