Old November 4th 17, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Why do some forks and frames have brake rotor size limits?

On 2017-11-04 09:51, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

It's odd being on rim brakes after being on discs exclusively for
the last four months, since my SuperSix bit the dust. I haven't
ridden the bike much because its been raining, and I just got it,
but I do worry about braking a spoke with the pads running so
close to the rim.

How can the pads get into the spokes? That could cause a major OTB
crash.

Poorly written. What I mean is that if you break a spoke and get a
wobbly rim, then it's hard to clear the pads -- even with QR cams
open. That's not a problem with discs.

Yes, that is another reason for having disc brakes on MTB. After the
first few hundred miles of serious use the rims wobble like those on
Russian trucks. Even the rear rim of my road bike does, can't completely
tension it out anymore. It's probably because of too much dirt road use
and heavy loads.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Is that your 600EX equipped road bike? It wasn't designed/intended for carrying loads on dirt roads. Abuse of equipment by doing so.

If the wheel is knackered it should be replaced or completely respoked with a new rim. But then again, if you did that you won't have something else to complain about when that wheel finally does fail - probably miles into your ride.

Cheers