Old November 4th 17, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Why do some forks and frames have brake rotor size limits?

On 2017-11-04 09:51, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

It's odd being on rim brakes after being on discs exclusively
for the last four months, since my SuperSix bit the dust. I
haven't ridden the bike much because its been raining, and I
just got it, but I do worry about braking a spoke with the
pads running so close to the rim.

How can the pads get into the spokes? That could cause a major
OTB crash.

Poorly written. What I mean is that if you break a spoke and get
a wobbly rim, then it's hard to clear the pads -- even with QR
cams open. That's not a problem with discs.

Yes, that is another reason for having disc brakes on MTB. After
the first few hundred miles of serious use the rims wobble like
those on Russian trucks. Even the rear rim of my road bike does,
can't completely tension it out anymore. It's probably because of
too much dirt road use and heavy loads.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Is that your 600EX equipped road bike? It wasn't designed/intended
for carrying loads on dirt roads. Abuse of equipment by doing so.

It is designed for heavy use. When I bought it that was one of my
requirements and, not surprisingly, the first questions the custom shop
owner asked. A reason why it has wider rims than they usually do.

If the wheel is knackered it should be replaced or completely
respoked with a new rim. But then again, if you did that you won't
have something else to complain about when that wheel finally does
fail - probably miles into your ride.

When have I complained about the rear rim?

A vehicle built to travel on roads must be capable to continue travel on
typical roads. Dirt roads are a typical part of a route in most parts of
the world. Like in our area:

https://goo.gl/maps/mDaf5Uv3t6N2

Of course you could say to yourself, well, I am on a bicycle which is an
inferior vehicle so I better turn around and use the car instead. For me
a bicycle is not just a rolling gym. It is foremost a transportation device.

BTW, that road bike is from 1982 and has about 70k miles on it. How many
has yours?