Old January 9th 09, 07:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unicorn

Default Frustrations Learning to Ride: Mental Block and *Really* Sore Knees?

Your practice sessions are very long. I suggest cutting the sessins down
to 15 to twenty minutes. However try to do a session every day and even
two on the weekends. As the session lengthens concentration wanes
muscles tire and you leave the session feeling bad. When I work on
leaning riding I also finish my practice session after I have a good
run. That way I walk away feeling confident rather than frustrated.

125mm cranks are harder to learn on. with 150 or 165 you should be able
to learn faster.

Sounds like you are putting to much weight on the pedals and not enough
on the seat.

When riding try looking at at a point on the horizon or the fence on
the oposite side of the court or a poster on the fall wall of the gym.
do not look at the floor 2 feet in front of your tire or that is were
you will go.

Keep in mind that unicycling is a series of accelerations and
deccelerations. That is how yo keep the tire under you. As you become
more experiences you will make smaller and smaller accelerations and
deccelerations using your by then stronger and much more coordinated
muscles much less. I taught a good friend who completed both the NY and
Boston marathons to ride. In the beginning he used to get nausous from
the exertion after just 15 minutes of riding! Now he does 3 hour MUni
rides with me.

I do like Saskatch's beer suggestion. I like doing what i call the two
beer test - I learn a new skill and then if I can still do it
consistently after two beers I feel that I have mastered it! Good luck
you have began the exciting and rewarding voyage of unicycling!
Unicorn

--
Unicorn

Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will
accomplish great feats!

'The Unicycling Commune' (http://tinyurl.com/3xkd8d)