Old February 14th 14, 01:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

Oxford English Dictionary

Recreation; activity done for enjoyment when one is not working

*

Quad erat demonstrandum; hiking and biking are both

recreations.

But not the same KIND of recreation. Both purpose and means
are different.

It doesn't matter whether they are the same KIND or not ... they are both recreations therefore both entitled to the same consideration in terms of their use of public resource.

1. Note that in all the videos there are hardly any people ... for

the vast majority of the time there is no interaction with other trail
users.* Therefore, there should be no issue in sharing these trails at
all.

2. Perceptions of speed can be very misleading and you should also

remember that mountain bikes are equipped with very powerful disk brakes; we can
stop much more quickly than most hikers or road cyclists would imagine.

1. Obviously you do not care what anyone has to to say about a
situation. They are all lying thru their teeth? Right?

I'm not listening to what people say ... I'm watching the video links which you posted ! The evidence of my eyes is clear ... hardly any interaction .... lots of open space with no people.

2. Speed doesn't matter since bikes have brakes and can stop
whenever and wherever? Good to know that bit of information, although what it
has to do with bikes on trails is not readily apparent. You need to see a
psychiatrist to find out what is making your brain tick!

Sorry Ed, I was assuming that you had a modicum of intelligence and that therefore you would get the point. Let me set it out for you in simple words ...

Your post cited speed and the risk of collisions as a concern.
Powerful brakes slow you down very quickly.
A bike therefore appearing to be travelling too fast to stop is, in fact, perfectly able to do so before impacting a hiker, equestrian or other trail user.

Get it now ?