Old January 9th 18, 05:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default Anyone wear a helmet or elbow pads 4 black ice conditions?

On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 11:35:27 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

If there is a chance of black ice, or any ice or slick condition, I
use carbide studded tires on my bike. With studded tires, ice is
irrelevant. Studded tires have perfect grip on ice or anything else.
I use normal helmet and lots of winter cycling clothes when using
studded tires. So I have two, three thicknesses of clothes to protect
my body if I were to fall. But with studded tires, you can't fall.

Not my worry. My worry is motor vehicle operators having even less
control than the normally marginal control they usually have. 3000 lbs
of Volvo smacking into you at 40 mph with a smartphone in one hand and a
coffee in the other makes studded bike tires irrelevant.

If I lived out in the country and had roads more or less to myself, it'd
be a different situation.