Old January 13th 18, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default handlebar

On 1/12/2018 11:53 AM, Duane wrote:
On 11/01/2018 8:27 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Duane wrote:

What are is your interest in the material?
Weight? Strength? Rust?

To understand why I hear all the time they
break while my intuition tells me this has
never been even close to happening to me.

Over a lot of years of cycling using steel, aluminum and CF bars I've
never broken one either.Â* I think Jay is the only one I've heard of
breaking a bar where a crash wasn't involved.Â* I don't climb as much as
he does though.

I recall a recall of Brompton aluminum handlebars that were experiencing
breakage. They got handlebars from their licensed manufacturer (Neobike)
in Taiwan to do replacements. My Bromptons are all from Neobike and were
not subject to the recall. They also were sending out reinforcement
brackets for the U of the bars.

"In Mid 1995 Brompton began to use the bars fitted to far-Eastern
Bromptons produced under licence by Neobike. These more conventional
7/8-inch bars (satin finish once again, with a raised centre section),
were found to have a better fatigue life than both the previous designs.
They are not to everyone's tastes however, being rather higher than the
earlier types, which leads people to fit quick-releases to give a lower
sportier riding position."