Old December 5th 17, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Chain Reaction closes Los Altos store.

On 2017-12-03 14:34, jbeattie wrote:

What is causing this bike market downturn?

It MUST be fake news! You, Joerg, have assured us that by building bike
trails we'd get millions of Americans to give up their cars forever. And
every year, more segregated kiddy paths have been built. Some cities
have doubled their bike mode share, all the way from 0.2% to 0.4%!
That's like a 100% increase!

Sure it is, and for America that is quite big. Weren't you the guy
always touting the health benefits? Calculate the health Dollars saved
here.

My little suburban village has a population of about 3000. If there were
a 0.2% increase in bike mode share, that would mean six new riders. For
a segregated bike path, one million dollars per mile is a bit on the
cheap side of things. So how much should the village spend on kiddie
paths to improve the health of six people?

So I'm not going to believe any biased communist industry data. I _know_
bike sales have skyrocketed! Those bike dealers are not reporting sales
so they can cheat on their taxes.

We were talking about the Silicon Valley. I can imagine that cycling
down there isn't exactly fun. Up here in the Sierra foothills bike sales
are brisk. Else successes such as these would not happen:

http://teamcycleandtscafe.com/contact-about-us/1768830

http://www.bisonbikes.com/

So you have two bike shops, one in business for about 12 years, and one
that just opened? And we're supposed to be impressed?

Let's give it a few years. Bike shops come and bike shops go, just like
other businesses.

Jay mentioned Tom Ritchey, Keith Bontrager, Jim Blackburn, Jim Gentes
and Mike Sinyard. I can mention Arni Nashbar. All those people did big
things in the bicycling business. It's weird that you demean them as
being mere "famous people" but want us to be impressed by a couple tiny
shops, one of which is still wet behind the ears.

--
- Frank Krygowski