Old December 9th 17, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

Thing is, Sep, on a bicycle you don't need a bank of rally Cibie to warn off dangerous drivers. I've found that when on a narrow lane I see a driver coming too fast, I can just tilt the bike a little to sweep the BUMM Cyo's beam across his car just under the window line. If three seconds later he is still stupid, I tilt the bike a bit more and sweep the lamp across his hands on the wheel, and if three seconds after that he's still stupid I light up the interior of his car by just tilting the bike further. If he still doesn't get the message, I have my thumb on a Chinese police blinkie's switch; It is aimed the ground, not his eyes, but it flashes luminous yellow off my cycling jacket, rather like roadworks that can do expensive damage to his car's paint job.

My beef with BUMM lamps isn't so much that they don't make enough light. The Cyo was the first dynamo bicycle lamp at a reasonable price that wasn't lethal to the cyclist by being too dim. The Cyo is adequate rather than sufficient, but we can take up the luxury or possibility of sufficiency on 3W another day. The problem with the Cyo, as with all BUMM front lamps, is that it is designed to flatter the delusion of old roadies that they are "fast", rather than for optimum vision for the cyclist under all conditions, and in particular the Cyo and other BUMM IQ lamps fail in peripheral vision.*

Andre Jute
*When even those clowns McNamara and Krygowski have belatedly come around to my viewpoint, that the Cyo throws too much of its available light too far for cycling use, it makes me wonder if I couldn't possibly be wrong, even probably wrong, considering the track record of those two morons. Never mind, I'm on record about those Cyo lamps in too many places to deny it now. The cock's crowing, crowing...