Old January 12th 18, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

Default Anyone wear a helmet or elbow pads 4 black ice conditions?

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 1:35:31 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 12:28:40 AM UTC-6, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just wondering if when it's known that there can be black ice on the roads if anyone here wears a helmet or other protection (such as elbow pads) that they'd not normally wear when the roads are clear. Do you?

Cheers

If there is a chance of black ice, or any ice or slick condition, I use carbide studded tires on my bike. With studded tires, ice is irrelevant. Studded tires have perfect grip on ice or anything else. I use normal helmet and lots of winter cycling clothes when using studded tires. So I have two, three thicknesses of clothes to protect my body if I were to fall. But with studded tires, you can't fall.

At $110 each, I'll pass on them tires.

Just as riding hard will wear the tread blocks of regular knobby tires quickly in summer, it will do the same in winter, and the studs will be more likely to rip out of the tire

Andy