Old March 11th 11, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

Default OUCH

On 10/03/2011 21:47, Tony Raven wrote:

wrote:

not at all. any competent road user would not have hit that car.

From the moment the front bumper of the car crosses the white line to the
moment of impact is 0.6s. The average fingertip reaction time is about
0.25s. Braking from 10mph at maximum for a bicycle (~0.5G) takes 0.45s.
That's 0.7s to stop under ideal conditions from travelling at a slow speed.
The accident was unavoidable.

I don't agree wioth that last comment. In those conditions, I would not have
been involved in a collision (cet. par.). It was avoidable and most people
would have been able to avoid it. Of course, a mindest of "It's my right of
way and he must NOT cross my path" woul not help.

Knowing how the situation can change quickly is part of the art of roadcraft
and part of the skill of proceeding safely.

Those who cannot grasp basic concepts with respect to using the road are more
or less riding for a fall. Sometimes literally. Being in the right hasn't
helped him at all.