Old February 16th 18, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Battery Replacement on Lights with Internal Li-Ion Batteries

On 2018-02-15 12:16, sms wrote:
On 2/15/2018 9:35 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip ... Of course
we will soon see claims that this is all self-interest by
Trek, whose sole aim is to sell more lights.

Everybody should know that such articles aren't very suited to
foster sales of their own products but lights in general.

True. But it's a convenient excuse to dismiss the findings of
such article. Even though Trek is not a major supplier of bicycle
lights, you can already predict the narrative that will spew
forth. You saw it already with the Odense study.

Yep, afterwards the usual denialist stuff roll in.

Any study showing that a little mag-dyno blinky decreased daytime
solo accidents by 27% is suspicious on its face. If that doesn't
raise an eye-brow, you don't have eye-brows.

There will always be messed up "studies". It is not helpful to try to
find the few that are and ignore the vast majority of proper studies
which have proven time and again that daytime lights help.

BTW, my experience on bike paths is very different from yours. Some
riders do not turn off their lights there or forget but nearly all are
small handlebar lights with tiny batteries. Not blinding at all. There
are only very few riders like me who have powerful front lights with a
sizeable detached battery and those guys are generally considerate. We
turn them off on the MUP. If dreary or dark we turn them to a low
setting (that's why the lights have those). Maybe Californians and
Oregonians are different in that respect. Which would be weird because
we like similar kinds of beer.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/