Old October 9th 18, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

On 2018-10-08 16:05, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 08 Oct 2018 11:06:53 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-10-07 17:08, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 15:02:19 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 10/6/2018 2:49 PM, Joerg wrote:

[...]

2. It causes oncoming motorists to see the cyclist much earlier and, for
example, if a big semi comes they can pull a bit to the right so the
semi can give the cyclist wide berth.

I do NOT believe any practical light allows a motorist to see a cyclist
_much_ earlier. In almost every case, I've seen on-road cyclists before
I noticed that they had a light. And in no case did I see the light
early enough to make any practical difference. You're fixating on a
superstitious talisman, imagining benefits that don't exist in real life.

I think I've mentioned seeing the bloke on a bike wearing bright
orange knee socks nearly a kilometer away :-) I remember the orange
socks but can't remember whether he had a light on his bike or not :-)

I wonder what the reaction would be if said bloke participated in a
business meeting wearing bright orange knee socks.

The subject was bicycle visibility, not business meetings....

To me a bicycle is not just a piece of sports equipment but foremost a
transport vehicle.

Wow, that's poignant. I've been commuting to school or work for 50 years and changing my clothes for the last 40. Even when I was a substitute teacher, I would ride to school with a backpack and change when I got there. There is always some place to change. I certainly wouldn't go to a client meeting in rain drenched or sweat drenched shirt -- or in shorts. Do you go to client meetings in t-shirts and shorts?

... but
having said that I might comment that it is not difficult to change
socks, even sitting on the roadside curb.

And change all the other things sitting on a curb in a business park? I
rather flick a little switch and have instant visibility. Upon arrival I
flick it again, visibility turns off. Simple.

Do you have a side light? I'd worry about that. Pull though an intersection and "whack." Where was your side light! You really should have a bright side light.

-- Jay Beattie.