Old May 12th 14, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

Default Another idiot mountain biker!

There is never any consistency to the accidents and deaths of
hikers and campers other than falls. With mountain biking accidents and deaths,
there is total consistency.They are all the same which is why it makes for
tiring reading. The main thing that impacts hikers and campers at high
elevations is the weather. Not so with bikers. The main thing that impacts them
is negotiating the trail itself. That says it all!

Ed, that's not at all what the report says. There is a significant consistency to all accidents, as the chairman's summary, right at the start of the report, highlights. The trail is uneven so people trip and fall and hurt themselves. Weather changes unexpectedly which catches out the ill-prepared. People fail to consider the real challenges of a hike (or indeed ride) and find that they don't have the physical endurance to complete it. These are common, and recurring, situations as the report makes clear.

Mountain biking done normally is extremely dangerous. "Mistakes" have

nothing to do with it. Other outdoor activities such as hiking and camping done
normally are not dangerous. That is the difference.

Then why don't the statistics show this ? For the simple reason that it's just not true. Any kind of endeavour in untramelled territory carries inherent risks whether on foot or bike.

No, Ed, mountain biking done normally is a relatively safe

activity.* It is not as safe as hiking, I'll give you that, but safer than
a lot of other sports such as rugby, skiing and american football to name just
three.* And, unlike you, I can back that up with real figures from
independent bodies such as the BMA who have no axe to grind either way.

You are quite right* to class mountain biking along side
of other sports. Hiking is not a sport. It is a pastime. It is for folks trying
to connect with nature and their own past as creatures of this earth. Find
another playground for your sport. It has no place on hiking
trails.

I am also quite right as to the risks ... because I didn't come up with those figures they are from independent third parties.

And what gives you the right to tell the rest of us how we may enjoy ourselves ? The answer, of course, is nothing ... so enjoy the trails as you see fit and stop obsessing over what others do. It's none of your business.