Old December 7th 03, 04:17 AM
Tom Keats

Default Performance Bike still SUX

In article cNwAb.447073$Tr4.1249112@attbi_s03,
Peter writes:
Bartow W. Riggs wrote:

I think it is important to have a personal relationship, especially with
your favorite mechanic.

I hope I never own anything so unreliable that I end up developing a
personal relationship with my mechanic. I was getting dangerously close
once with a car but my current one is doing much better. Fortunately my
bikes have never approached that level.

Twice-yearly checkups are good for bikes, at least in the
Northern Temperate Zone. Keep the bearings well-greased, 'n
all that.

I like to do it myself; others like to have it done and let
the other guy/gal get the dirty fingernails. No sweat
either way. All bikes need periodic tinkering.

Personal relationships with bike mechanics are especially good
when you collect & refurbish older bikes which might have
extremely stuck seatposts, or "funny", obsolete drive trains
that need oddball tools to dismantle.

There's nothing wrong with retaining a wrench who knows what
[s]he's doing with occasional gifts of Solly's[tm] cinnamon
rolls, or herrings for their cats. On a good day, one might
even pick up some esoteric tips as to bike care & maintenance.

cheers,
Tom