Old December 23rd 18, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default The "great mental ward of the Pacific Northwest"

Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 1:02:52 PM UTC, news18 wrote:
On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 16:15:33 -0800, Andre Jute wrote:

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 12:07:49 AM UTC, Duane wrote:

I can’t believe anyone thinks a 2500 mile wall makes any sense.

Made sense to the Chinese (The Mother of All Walls), to the Romans (many
times, inter alia in Britain and Dacia), the Germans (Siegfried), the
French (Maginot),

Duane and I were just craicing-on, light jokes about current events. But
I have no problem paying you the complement of taking you seriously if
you want to argue cases. So let's see your screed again:

Agreed.

None of which worked, as a wall.
Mental balm for tghe populace; yes.
Comunity developemnt; maybe,
Totally effective; no.

Really? You might read a little of the excellent Mr Gibbon and inform
yourself of which walls fulfilled their intended purpose. Anyhow, as we
used to say Down Under, we were talking about the sense building the wall
made to those who ordered it built, and no one said anything about the
effectiveness of the walls after they were built. As for "community
development", they didn't do limp cod-sociology jargon those days, and
the men who ordered nearly all the walls built that I referred to didn't
care **** for the "community" (1), but for their own safety and that of
their house or command or nation, which you can work out for yourself if
you were well enough read to know which walls were built by slave labour,
which by conscripted labour, and which by professional soldiers under discipline.

Well it’s one thing to not forget history but on the other hand we have a
lot of tech today that could do a better job than a stone wall.

Andre Jute
The library is my friend, and can be yours too.
(1) The reason they didn't care **** for "community" is that it wasn't
invented yet, and as for its "development", the Emperor of China thanks
you for the giggle. As late as the end of the 20th century, the great
Baroness Thatcher was forced to explain to the yobs that there is no such
thing as "community", that it is a recently minted and vaguely specified neologism.

--
duane