Old December 8th 19, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default We're from the government. We're here to help you.

Chalo writes:

Andre, you should know that "jaywalking" was a social engineering term
cooked up by automakers to stigmatize people exercising their rights
to use public streets. The campaign worked, and by now most people
don't believe that people have a right to the road.

True. The term "jay driving" predates "jay walking". A "jay" was a
hick, a rube, or a stomp, and when he drove to the city, behind a horse
or a steering wheel, he was reputed to, for example, drive on whichever
side of the road seemed convenient at the time. The invention of
jaywalking was a masterful stroke of PR judo, and a a sign of things to
come.

Remember it's the motorists who are by far the most offensive
transgressors. Don't fall for the language and ideas of the
malefactors.