Old November 4th 04, 09:05 PM
Badger_South

Default Tracking problem

I finally found the root cause of my problem with the bike not tracking
properly. Trek hybrid, no shocks, tires are 700x35c just a touch of
crosshatching treat, almost looks bald.

The third lbs guy to look at it spun the tire and said 'you have a shimmy
in the tire. The tire may have been put on incorrectly and the bead of the
tire might not have been in the rim straight'.

It's a small and hardly noticeable section with the tire is off true for
about 8 inches, and it's definitely the rubber tire portion, but you have
to spin it a time or two if you're not used to looking at tires.

He said he spotted it when spinning my front wheel and checking the brakes.
This guy was really nice, b/c he gave me a quick tune up while putting on
my SPDs. If he'd looked like Halle Berry, I'da...well, you know. ;-D

I noticed the lack of tracking when holding the back of the saddle and
trying to roll the bike forwards. Despite my trying time after tme to do
this and keep the tiny bit of correction going with tilting it, this bike
will -not- track straight; thus I can not ride it without hands, and you
-need- to be able to ride no hands when you're going over 90 minutes to two
hours, imo. If this doesn't fix it, maybe the headset needs examined or
something.

So I'll have 'em look at this, and probably change the tire.

-B