Old November 4th 04, 11:50 PM
Roger Zoul

Badger_South wrote:
|| On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 16:49:17 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
|| wrote:
||| Huh? How'd you get that opinion?
|| That's so you can sit up and stretch your back, change your gloves,
|| get somthing out of you back jersey pocket. I used to be able to
|| ride for 5-10 min at a time no hands, totally stable on my old steel
|| Sears&Robuck schwinn-style twelve-speed.
|| Most old timers will say 'sheesh, if you're not in a race, pull over
|| sit and eat'.
|| But guess what? At some point you'll want to eat on the bike or
|| change your gloves or shirt, and if you don't practice it, you won't
|| be able to do it.
|| It's also nice, if you need to clean your glasses, and you've
|| brought some tissue, after a rain storm.
|| Part of bike handling 101 regardless; iow, you may never -need- to
|| use that skill, but you should have it and be comfortable doing it,
|| imo.
|| I picked 90" to 2 hours as the point at which some ppl start eating
|| and drinking during the ride. You say 3 hours, I don't disagree.

Well, it's your opinion. I'm of the opinion that if I need to stretch or eat
or whatever, I'll get off the bike. I'm not a pro so there's no need to do
other things while riding. I don't need the hassle of getting hurt
needlessly. Income to protect, responsibilities, etc. YMMV.

BTW, I usually get off the bike at about 20 miles, so your 1.5 hours is
about right for me.