Old June 7th 18, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Chain waxing

On 2018-06-06 16:21, James wrote:
On 07/06/18 00:35, Joerg wrote:

It doesn't sound very healthy for the chain to soak it in dirty wax.

Doesn't seem to make any difference as far as I can tell.

I clean my chain thoroughly using interdental toothbrushes. My wive
found a brand at Costco that is more rigid than the usual ones so the
job goes faster now. First used for my teeth, then later some day for
a chain. Afterwards scrubbing with an old regular toothbrush, followed
by a good wipe-down with Kleenex. Once the chain is really shiny I
apply White Lightning Epic Ride. If you shake the bottle well the waxy
stuff in it dissolves and thus gets onto the chain as well. I use a
Q-Tip to dab it onlto the links, then gently wipe off any excess with
a Kleenex.

That way a road bike chain can run 150-250mi between cleanings
depending on whether I ride more roads or more bike paths. Gets
dirtier on roads. 40-50mi on the MTB, mostly on dirt trails. The
upside is that this method does not require me to take the chain off
the bike which I would really dread.

Wow. I leave the original chain lube on from the manufacturer to begin
with. That probably lasts 1000km or more.

I just checked a chain I put on in January. It's done over 3200km and
"stretched" 1/8 of an inch over 50 inches, or about 0.25%. I've wax
lubed it twice since I installed the chain, about every 1000km. There
has been road works where I live for two months, so every ride I have to
cross several hundred metres of dirt in each direction. I've also
cycled some gravel roads for fun.

KMC factory lube lasts me a about 500mi on the road bike but not on the
MTB. There the chain becomes noisy after 50mi no matter what. Most
singletrack is very dusty in this area and the chain gets a good dose of
water when crossing little creeks.

I don't dread taking the chain off my bike because I use a Connex quick
link, and once it is removed, it facilitates much easier cleaning of
other parts, like the rear derailleur jockey wheels for example.

I also have a KMC quick disconnect on the MTB but it's not very easy to
get off.

Nothing works for Joerg.

Sure it does, I open those at times. It's just not all that convenient.

As outlined, I have a method to clean and lube chains that works well.
It took me a while to streamline the process but by now I can do that in
15-20mins if needed. While listening to talk radio in my garage which
would make your toe nails curl :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/