Old March 15th 05, 01:50 AM
Earl Bollinger

"Dane Bramage" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey there - this is probably a bit off topic, but wanted some advice
about bikes that are built for long rides and any recommendations.
Since this group is experienced with longer rides, I figure you all
would have a good viewpoint.

I currently ride a Cannondale T2000 touring bike. I like it a lot, but
it's heavy and built to carry a load. Looking for something I can
upgrade to that's lighter and built more for speed.

Not looking for a racing bike - rather something to take out for on day
rides of 100+ miles at a quicker pace, and preferably a more
comfortable ride than I'm used to.

Any thoughts? Thanks if you have them.

In my opinion...
Most any road bike would work OK for you. If you like Cannondale, I would
check out their road bikes, they would all work good.
Since cyclists are using lightweight road bikes for things like century,
double, triple centuries or more what the heck, go for it.
Pete Pensayers road in the RAAM competitions across the USA, on a light road
bike, and set records doing it.
The touring bikes were intended for long distances, but they expected you to
carry everything with you too. Thus racks, panniers, etc.
Depending on your weight, the bikes with only a small number of spokes would
probably not be a good choice, as the wheels may not hold up on rough roads
very well.
When you go for a lightweight road bike, you will be sacrificing the ability
to carry stuff with you. But on the "credit card" touring, the riders
basically ride from hotel to hotel and have a support vehicle with them too
maybe. Thus they get to travel light. One can use a backpack or even one of
the hydration systems backpacks to good advantage too.
On a long ride the seat may be an issue, thus you may want to get a really
good seat that gives you your best comfort.
On really long rides it may even be best to have a sprung seat like a Brooks
American Flyer, etc. Comes in handy when you are tired and not paying
attention all that much and hit some bumps, etc.
I would expect that a lightweight aluminum frame with carbon fibre fork,
carbon fibre seat stays, and a carbon fibre seatpost would give a really
good ride too. There are just so many choices in bikes to pick from too.