Old December 9th 07, 02:52 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Obakesan

Default Brisbane Bikeways

Hi

well, Brisbane is perhaps better off than other places, such as the Gold Coast
for example. Try riding across the "Sundale Bridge" using the cycle lane
painted onto the road ... if your brave.

But yes, I agree with you. I'm in Finland at the moment, and they have more
than 8000 Km of cycle paths here. Despite the foul weather, slippery
conditions and outright cold people here ride bicycles.

Not only do the Australian authorities not care about bicycle riders, but they
care nothing for the people who administer it. I seem to recall that the
officer in charge of bicycle paths (opposed to the use of shared road / cycle
ways as I understood) was killed riding his bicycle to work some years ago.

Consistently our government is failing to meet targets on sustainable
transport.

Its all rather a joke really ...

I wonder how much influence the introduction of helmet laws (another can of
worms) effected the participation rates of bicycling in Oz?

See Ya
(when bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer