Old October 13th 19, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default Beginner question

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 03:09:17 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

Joy, depending on how hilly your countryside is, if you're forced to buy a complete new bicycle because your components won't fit whatever you can get, you may also want to look at the RANS
http://www.ransbikes.com/bicycles/
on which Tom Sherman, who used to post here, was very keen. They're crank-forward (CF) designs, so not much chop in hilly country, but when I made up a few of my own designs in wood to test for suitability, the lot called geribikes for the obvious reason that I was getting on a bit and wanted a bike that I could step over easily, I found the crank forward by far the most suitable design not only for me (on the flat) but for every older person I tried it on. Unfortunately, my town is called the Rome of West Cork for the obvious reason and my countryside is up and down, no rideable flats, so I need to sit over the bottom bracket.

A few years ago, after I tracked snow into the kitchen and twisted my
knee, I bought a Trek Pure flatfoot. Great bike for cripples; I call
it my "pedal-powered wheelchair". I'm sure the knee healed faster
because I could exercise it without putting weight on it -- and I
continued going to places where I'd walked before getting hurt.

But I can't go any farther on it than I could walk ten years ago.

Well, I've never walked all the way to the hospital, and I did that
once on the Pure. But I used to walk farther than that without
leaving the village.

I have to get off and use the crosswalk at intersections because a
bike you can't stand up on is very slow off the mark, but it would be
good for people who ride on sidewalks, because it's easy to get off at
intersections, and you can "walk" without getting off when you are
waiting for a chance to overtake a pedestrian.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net