Old July 29th 05, 03:22 AM
Paul Hobson

Default Filing a brake caliper that's just too short?

Hey everyone,

I just bought a front brake caliper that's *just* too short for the
Peugeot frame that it'll be one. Seriously, I only need another 1 mm of
reach...maybe 2 mm tops.

Does anyone see an danger to me filing a flat spot in the bolt like this:

http://sheldonbrown.com/images/sovos_flat_axle.gif ???
only it'd be on the brake pad's bolt...not my axle...you get the picture.

I've also thought about filing the caliper itself down just a hair since
there is a significant amount of material below the lowest point at
which the pads can sit. Does anyone see dangers to doing this? Keep in
mind I need only a little --||--- more room and the brakes are
/perfect/. Additionally, I'd like to avoid buying a new brake caliper as
I bought this one second hand and can't really return/exchange it (it's
also nice).

Thanks so much!
\\paul
--