Old April 23rd 18, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Build it and they will come - but where are they?

On 4/23/2018 11:21 AM, sms wrote:

It's not going to be bicycles that are the top contributor to vehicle
reductions, but if they can contribute just 1-2% it would be
significant.

What is the relevant definition of "significant"?

Between 2016 and 2017, annual U.S. miles driven increased 2.8%.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-u-s-last-year

If bicycles reduced that by 1% to 2%, things would be back to where they
were in about four to eight months. I wouldn't call that significant.

Some people in r.b.t. have a distorted view of the value of bicycle
infrastructure since they are perfectly happy to ride without any.

Hmm. We just joined some friends for a ride of a bit over 30 miles.
Maybe five miles were on a near-empty MUP. That was nice. The rest was
on perfectly ordinary roads with no special bicycle infrastructure. That
was just as nice.

I thought people who are perfectly happy to ride without special
infrastructure are called "cyclists."

--
- Frank Krygowski