Old August 14th 07, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

Default consultation document

I am not sure, but this sounds like Cycle Friendly Infrastructure 2,
which was written a couple of years ago and then disappeared into the
DfT.

Rumour has it they don't like it and this consultation may be an
attempt to get others to back them up. If it is CFI2, it was probably
good when given to the DfT. Whether it still is is another question.

Skimming through it I've noticed one problem so far, which is that in a
cycle lane the recommended minimum[1] distance from bike wheel to parked
car is just 1 metre. Obviously this means there's a gap of just 70cm
between car and handlebar - not far enough to prevent a 'dooring'.

I suspect the major problems will be what they've left out, rather than
what they say. I'll try and track down Cycle Friendly Infrastructure and
lobby the organisations invited to take part to get all the good bits put
back in.

[1] I.e. maximum that will be given :-/

--
Mark T