Old June 4th 09, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default THE LOGIC OF TRIKES an outsider's viewpoint by Andre Jute

On Jun 4, 10:12*pm, someone wrote:
On 4 June, 21:54, Andre Jute wrote:

However, if we abstract all the complications and qualification and
reduce a tilting suspension to the fishbone of necessity (that's a
pun, don't sweat it), yes, you can imagine what I'm talking about. Try
this:

Imagine the digit 8 made up of four long equal-length laths of wood
and three short equal-length laths of wood, pinned at all joints so
that the thing is a folding mechanism rather than a rigid structure.

Turn your 8 sideways. Now you have three parallel uprights in a row,
and two parallel longer pieces per side connecting the central upright
to each outside upright on that side.

The central upright represents the chassis and the rider, in short the
trike's entire payload.

The two outer uprights represent the wheels.

Two parallel arms from the centre payload to each wheel are the
suspension wishbones, seen from the side.

In a corner the payload will tilt.

On your figure 8, tilt the payload, represented by the central
upright. The wheels tilt, pulled by the links.

Reset to level. Tilt the payload, represented the other way The wheels
tilt, pulled by the links.

That's it, a tilting suspension. All the rest is detail and compromise
to make it work in the real world.

How do you locate the angle of tilt? *

In the simplest version the angle of tilt is directly proportional to
steering angle; that's the point of equal length parallel arms. It's
limited by bump stops, generally to something around 35 to 40 degrees.

And where does the energy come
frome to lift the rider back up?

You're looking at the ultra-neddy description of a complicated
mechanism. I clearly said, "if we abstract all the complications and
qualification and reduce a tilting suspension to the [w]ishbone of
necessity," then we get the explanation above. We can't have it both
ways, idiots complaining that they don't understand the full version
because it is too complicated and long because it needs to include so
many factors, the more knowledgeable complaining that the neddy
version is incomplete.

But it's a good question. The righting energy comes from the road
flattening after the turn, the self-centring geometry of the wheel
angles in three dimensions, the stored energy in the springs, and from
the rider's arm muscles.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Bicycles at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...20CYCLING.html