Old June 5th 09, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
someone

Default THE LOGIC OF TRIKES an outsider's viewpoint by Andre Jute

On 4 June, 23:30, Andre Jute wrote:

In the simplest version the angle of tilt is directly proportional to
steering angle; that's the point of equal length parallel arms. It's
limited by bump stops, generally to something around 35 to 40 degrees.

I feel we're thinking of different things, I'm not certain what you're
getting at. What are you attempting to explain? Perhaps a piccy will
help.

And where does the energy come
frome to lift the rider back up?

You're looking at the ultra-neddy description of a complicated
mechanism. I clearly said, "if we abstract all the complications and
qualification and reduce a tilting suspension to the [w]ishbone of
necessity," then we get the explanation above. We can't have it both
ways, idiots complaining that they don't understand the full version
because it is too complicated and long because it needs to include so
many factors, the more knowledgeable complaining that the neddy
version is incomplete.

How about using roller skate steering? The angular positioning of the
rider would be assisted in location by the 'steering bar', the
steering follows. To exit a turn, one straightens up using the bars
and the steering straightens up. The steering inducer is also the
suspension being a pivot in a rubber block. Clamping force
compressing the block varies the steering response.

But it's a good question. The righting energy comes from the road
flattening after the turn, the self-centring geometry of the wheel
angles in three dimensions, the stored energy in the springs, and from
the rider's arm muscles.