Old July 28th 14, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Things I do on a flatfoot

As I was zooming along the hiking path with the wide, wide sleeves of
my poncho shirt fluttering, I reflected that there are a lot of things
I do on my crank-forward that I won't do on my diamond frame: riding
in sleeves capable of scooping up a wasp, for example.

I was out just riding around in circles. I rode in a lot of
quarter-century circles last summer (and hope to recuperate enough to
do it again before this fall), but when I ride the road bike, there is
always some excuse for a destination somewhere along the way, if only
to see whether there is something interesting out that way.

I'll sometimes ride the "pedal-powered wheelchair" on a sidewalk.
which I'd consider unthinkably rude on a road bike. Not only that,
I'll remain seated when a pedestrian appears. (A "comfort bike" works
well as a granny-size baby walker.)

Sometimes I ride right into the garage and remain aboard until I'm in
my parking space.

Once I started out for a walk, then went back and put my bag of picnic
supplies in the basket of the flatfoot.

(The cargo carrier is only a fancy-pants basket hanging from an
almost-unbungee-able rack, something I'd never tolerate in a road
bike.)

Sometimes I go out to the garage to put something away and decided to
take a lap around the block while I'm out there.

On Sundays I ride wearing a wide-brimmed straw hat that turns inside
out on the way down Ninth Street.

I frequently ride to church wearing an ankle-length Sunday dress. I've
seen people in hiked-up long skirts on diamond frames, but I've never
done it.

I rode barefoot only once; the pedals were getting rather rough by the
time I got back. But I usually ride wearing sandals, and sometimes
take a lap wearing garden slippers.

I'll put on a scarf or do-rag before riding only on days when I'd wear
one to walk. I can't ride fast enough for the breeze to hurt my ears.

Safety featu on the road bike, I don't keep both hands on the
brake levers at all times. On the flatfoot there is nowhere *else* to
put them.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/