Old February 2nd 20, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
pH

Default First ride of the year.

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 7:57:06 PM UTC-8, Joy Beeson wrote:
Instead of sewing a snap on my new wallet, I went to Zale's Hometown
Pharmacy today. About two miles out and two miles back -- hardly
worth suiting up for.

Wish I could sew worth a darn. (yuck yuck). I have a heck of a time threading the needle these days. I do replace buttons and mend tears.

It's absurd that on the ninth of January, I went out in a linen
jersey. But I should have worn two T-shirts under it instead of one;
I'd have turned back if I'd planned to stay out longer.

We don't get snow around here (Santa Cruz area) and is has not been excessively cold. Since I'm somewhat retired I can avoid the coldest part of the morning as well.

It was my first ride of the year, if you don't count riding my bike
home from the shop yesterday.

I've been riding somewhat regularlry and have gone over the 100 mile mark for the year. So that means I switch over to my recumbent and give it a turn for the next hundred miles.
His odometer has stopped working reliably and I think I"ll give up fussing with it and simply replace it. Cateye seems to be my brand of choice.

I was surprised that the bill included two dollars for a spoke and
eight-fifty for installing it. I must be rather oblivious not to
notice a damaged spoke. But then sometime I mount up and roll off
without even thumb-testing my tires.

What! You don't replace your own spokes? What would Jobst say?

I should have been more emphatic that "change the brake cables" meant
both of them. In the next paragraph I gave instructions for routing
the front cable; that, perhaps, made the "s" disappear. But I did
instruct them to look for worn parts, and the front brake is the
important one.

I now have an 8-speed chain on a six-cog cluster. The bill specifies
that the chain is "silver" -- they come in assorted colors?

8 speed seems to be the widest available now. They do seem to work fine on my SunTour six speed freewheels. Silver and black seem to be the colours out there.

I wonder what "RR" means in "BASKET SUNLT RR WIRE FOLDING STD BK"?
"STD" probably means "standard" and "BK" certainly means "black".

And I found a picture of the basket by searching for "Sunlite". My
new handlebar pads are the same brand.

"RR" could mean "rear".

I can't think of a good abbreviation in this case.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Thanks for keeping the newsgroups alive Joy. I see a lot of urdu script or whatever it is. Seems like most activity has shifted to .tech as usership has waned.

pH in Aptos