Old February 3rd 20, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default First ride of the year.

On Sun, 2 Feb 2020 11:06:01 -0800 (PST), pH wrote:

Wish I could sew worth a darn. (yuck yuck). I have a heck of a time threading the needle these days. I do replace buttons and mend tears.

I did some hack sewing today, cobbling together a split seam in a
pillow tick. Zero attention to appearance, and when the two halves
got out of line, I didn't rip back and do it right, just did it wrong
the other way to the end of the seam.

I used size 30/6 thread. (Normal is 100/6.) This was the first time
in a long time that I threaded a needle without putting on 3.5 reading
glasses. But I had to wax the thread to re-thread the needle to hide
the end when I was done. First threading was done by sticking the cut
end through the eye; by the time it slipped out of the needle, the end
had frayed enough that I had to fold the thread over the needle and
stick the tight loop through, and for threading the short end, even
that didn't work -- perhaps more because it was short than because it
was fuzzy.

I bought my wax direct from a beekeeper at the farmers' market.
Sewing-notions makers often pass off sticky wax as beeswax -- which
works fine for batik, not so much for waxing thread.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net