Old September 2nd 07, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Achievement(s)

"SAW" wrote in message

I'd also say go and have a crack at a time trial even if it's just a "come
and try it" evening. Can be a different crowd but also welcoming and full
of encouragement for novices - the roadies will say it's boring but the
testers will maintain it's a truer showing of what you are really capable
of.

Even then there are differing TTs. The ones across the Humber run by Barton
Wheelers are nice family events with old codgers on trikes and young lads. I
come about 15th out of 30 in their races and they are all up for a chat and
a laugh. Whereas in my own club TT, most people turn up, do the race and go
home again and not talk to anyone unless they're in their "clique". What
used to be a social event has left only the hard men who are serious and I
am lucky if I come 2nd or 3rd from last.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net