Old October 10th 11, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc

Default Going to be my latest purchase.

On Oct 9, 7:57*pm, Harry Brogan
wrote:
I yoo have a Planet Bike rear flasher. *Keeps me from getting nailed
when I am out at night and HAVE to ride on the street.

I have two flashers in the go bag-- the Planet Bike and another older
one that is much less bright, for when I ride with a friend (my
routines are pretty limited these days). The PB unit can be blinding
for a follower on a bike (whoops!).

I used to ride in stealth mode at night (ah youth!) and I still rely
on survival habits developed back then. The bright flasher is a good
thing but it's not 3200 lbs of steel g.

And I will definitely post an update within a few days of purchase.
And I am also a bit unsire about the size of the side bag. *It's
SUPPOSED to be able to hold two full bags of groceries, but we'll see.
I am used to bungee cords so this will be a new experience.

As a former touring rider (camping but not survival level), packs that
suit your purpose are one of those "how did I get along without
these?" things in life, and yes, I made the transition at one point.
"Why is that silly-looking bicycle rider carrying only one pack?" is
another one of those things you figure out pretty quick once you do
it. Doesn't make the bike unstable at all g.

The front rack that comes with that bike might be very handy,
especially given a bag or *whatever* (incl. rigid box with a little
padding in the bottom) that you find and fasten on there to fit your
usage. Much safer for carrying glass bottles, for instance, than just
bungee-ing up and hoping for the best. Experience speaks. Waste not,
want not!

I haven't used a disc (yet) myself but it hasn't been all that long
since I saw (or finally noticed) "my" first one on a commuter bike
that the young woman riding it told me her boyfriend set up special
for her. Yes, indeed, I don't know how long those have been OEM on
"road" bikes (as opposed to dirt-purpose bikes) but a big deal for
safety on a "utility" bike.
--D-y