Old January 1st 18, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default postcard

On 1/1/2018 2:17 PM, Ned Mantei wrote:
On 01-01-18 16:06, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/1/2018 1:11 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
avagadro wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?gl=us&....0.JrkuSLIK9Rk

Everyone welcome! I have virtually all the
tools and if anyone has questions I'll just
patch them to you guys and have the answers
handed out as bedtime reading

Speaking of reading: It may be worthwhile to accumulate a little
library of bike repair books. Buying from a source like this would
make them inexpensive:

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...repair&isbn =

Of course, some of those books are much better than others. I think
this one is unusually good:
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...cycle+re pair

If those were on your shelves, your friends might have far fewer
questions.

Thanks for the link to the Park Tool "big blue" books. I have found
their website to be reliable and extremely helpful, so I would expect
the book to also be very good.

And this discussion reminds me that in the 1980's I bought Eugene
Sloane's "Bicycle Maintenance Manual" and "The All New Complete Book of
Bicycling". And later there was Brank Berto's "Upgrading Your Bike".
Times have changed...

Personally, I never liked Eugene Sloane's books. It seemed to me he was
wordy, rambling and inaccurate.

One of my "favorite" passages was him explaining that some wheels and
tires were labeled 700C because they were 700 centimeters in diameter. (!)

I enjoyed Fred DeLong's books and articles. I think he was the first
bicycling engineer I came across. And Frank Berto was wonderful.

--
- Frank Krygowski