Old December 1st 06, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

Default Conservatory Pr0n.

"Simon Mason" wrote in message

Nice bike. But...

Just to show how my earlier distrust of HM Customs and Excise was
justified, I imported an Italian road bike earlier this year from the USA
which I'd bought on e-bay for 700 quid. I was stung for 230 UKP in duty
and tax.

Er - what do you mean, distrust of HMCE? They clearly say what they charge
for imports from the US. Looks like you actually got let off slightly
lightly for the first bike, and incredibly lightly for the second.

So, rather than distrusting them, I'd be sitting there being pleasantly
surprised.

FWIW on a 1700 quid bike, duty is about 255 quid, and vat is about 342 quid.
(about 15% duty for complete bikes, then 17.5% VAT on top of both).

cheers,
clive