Old January 17th 19, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default What's the point?

On 17/1/19 9:33 pm, Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 12:25:21 AM UTC, James wrote:

What's the point of disc brakes? People happily use rim brakes.

I have hydraulic discs. My discs are 622mm.

My wife made a comment to a mate about me, as I was digging a hole to
find a storm water pipe, "He's not very muscly." Our mate replied after
seeing the veins erupting from my arms, "Looks like the hydraulics are
working fine though!"

Seems I've had 622 mm hydraulic/cable discs for about 3 decades ;-)

I haven't bothered going tubeless on my newly acquired gravel
touring bike (1) with 42mm WTB Resolute tyres. If I start getting
punctures or run out of traction and want lower pressure, and think
tubeless goop will help, I might try then.

(1) Marin, Four Corners.

A point definitely arrives on my Big Apple 60mm balloons when you
will get fishbites. For me it's pretty low, around 1.5 bar, but my
roads are all blacktop, including even the smallest lanes. What
happens is that you hit a pothole at speed on a downhill and your
ride is instantly ruined. I haven't ridden on gravel roads since I
lived in Australia, but I'd expect my tyres to be good at about 2.4
bar on good gravel and nearer 3 bar on gravel due for grading -- at
which point they ride like their wretched cousins, the Marathon Plus.
One would also want to know something of the sidewalls of your
Resolute tyres.

The WTB Resolute tyres seem ok to me. On the road they are not a
terrible drag. The overall weight of the bike is a drag to ride up
hill, but that's to be expected. On gravel the tyres seem to grip well
enough. I don't have much to compare with though.

For some strange reason the sidewalls are marked with a _minimum_
pressure of something like 50 psi. (It may be 55. I can't remember
exactly, but it was 50 or 50 something.)

With 50 psi in the 42 mm tyres, it is fine on smooth bitumen, but very
rough on gravel roads. I've let them down to about 40 psi for gravel,
with the bike only carrying me (75 kg).

--
JS