Old February 4th 04, 09:43 PM
Tom Kunich

Default Helmet ******s

"S. Anderson" wrote in message
.. .
It wasn't until the wee Scot, Jackie
Stewart, came along tht driver safety became a priority. After his

somewhat
brief and highly successful career, driver fatality rates came down pretty
quickly, thanks to technology as well no doubt. He campaigned hard for
safety improvements. Today, I'm sure no driver would think of racing
without a full 5-point harness and helmet and fire suit, but there was a
time when they raced at 180mph in an open-cockpit with a polo shirt and
khakis on. Doesn't make it right, but it was the common logic of the

day..

Let's be sure to note that I for one have been at the scene of several of
what looked to be rather minor car racing accidents in which the
occupant/driver died despite seat belts, helmets and whatever else.