Old November 30th 07, 10:21 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Cremasco

Default Simple bikes for local transport

Liz wrote:

I want one of these bikes when you get them! I'm currently riding my mum's
1950s(?) Malvern Star, and the brakes terrify me. I don't trust them to stop
at the bottom of a hill, so I find myself braking the whole way down the
hill. I'm sure there must be a better way. I'd also like a side stand (I
know, I could easily get one). I ride to the shops (about 1km) or short
rides with my toddler in a front-mounted child seat. It doesn't seem worth
spending $900 (what my previous bike cost) for that. Maybe when my
daughter's a bit older and can ride her own bike.

You'd be surprised what you can do with a $12 recycle-centre bike, with
proper brakes and spend $40 on hi pressure slicks. Been happily
commuting on that for a year or so now.