Old December 4th 07, 07:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle
G-S

Default Simple bikes for local transport

BT Humble wrote:
lemmiwinks wrote:
On Nov 28, 8:01 am, G-S wrote:
Resound wrote:
Centrestands are a thing that I can see being a distinct advantage
(especially for the bakfiet while trying to load and unload it).
You're right... I hate the sidestand on my cypress city with a passion.
It is easily the least practical bit of the bike, when I have weight in
the panniers the bike is very unstable.

I'll third that. My only caveat would be not to get those horrible
centrestands that swing from the rear axle like are common on Dutch
bikes, but rather the neat two legged type that attach just behind the
bottom bracket like a sidestand and the legs tuck up underneath the
chainstays.http://ebent.files.wordpress.com/200...mtriangles.jpg

Is it a midships-mounted sidestand by any chance? Aaargh has one of
those, and by the timewe got to Foster I went shopping for a rear
mounted one[1] because they work much better with panniers. $5 later
and I now have dual sidestands, which gives it a very secure 4-point-
of-contact stance. ;-)

Yes it is a midships-mounted sidestand (and the bike fell off it today
for the 3rd time). Bit of a gust and *fall*.

BTH
[1] They either bolt to the rear of the left chainstay, or are held in
place by the left rear axle nut.

Might have to look into one ta BT.

G-S