Old July 27th 17, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default New bike for Jay

On 2017-07-26 09:31, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 8:55:05 AM UTC-7, Doug Landau
wrote:
Can we start speccing out equipment for Jay the way we do for
Jorge?

I'll start with this thing. Jay tell us again what frame size
you ride?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik...230636448.html

Wow. That's a deal. I ride a 63cm in Cannondale. The OE Ksyrium
wheels are a non-starter. I couldn't keep them true. But I'd
buy that bike, and I was even in SF yesterday. Oh well.

I need two bikes, but both have been or are in the process of
being replaced. I splurged and sort of replaced my commuter with
a CF gravel bike for $1,600. at Western Bikeworks. An on-sale
Norco Search. I couldn't help myself. It's a bike I've always
liked. It's 105 level, which is more than fine -- and godbless
Norco for using the whole component group and not some FSA or
TruVativ crank or Tektro brakes. This is a fun bike and probably
too nice for a commuter, so who knows, I might buy a beater frame
and throw together a dead of winter commuter. Cannondale will
probably give me something as a replacement for the broken CX
frame. I just didn't want to wait to go through that process,
and I wanted a gravel bike anyway. Hey, keep the economy strong.
Bike sales are down. We have to do our part.

http://www.norco.com/bikes/road/adve...h-a-105-hydro/

Nice bike though 160/140mm rotors are IMO too wimpy. What always peeves
me and is one reason why I am sticking with my 35 year old steel
frame road bike is that manufacturers of "modern" bikes seem to
assume nobody has to carry anything. No rack attachment points.
Schlepping a laptop, water, food and other stuff in a backpack is a
real pain especially when it's over 100F out there and the ride is
mostly in the sun. When I took delivery of this full-custom road
bike in the early 80's the very first thing I did was to add lights
and a nice big rack. I made sure the frame I selected had
provisions for that.

I even have a full rack (almost all home-made) on my FS-MTB.
Stiffened so the panniers won't sway into the spoked even during
very rough rides. Plus now a top trunk. Detachable in case a
package has to be brought to Fedex along the way. The available
trunks can hold 1-1/2 gallons of water, food, prototype parts for
clients, a tool set and whatever else is needed.

They make bikes for that. You just don't own one. I can go down the
street an buy one. http://www.splendidcycles.com/
https://bikeportland.org/tag/cargo-bikes

Sure, but I meant a fast commuter, not a behemoth.

By the way, I bought the CF (not allow) Norco Search:
http://www.norco.com/bikes/road/adve.../search-c-105/

Interesting, Why did they drop the price so much versus list?

The Search alloy has rack mounts -- not the CF bike. The rotors are
plenty big enough for a gravel bike. The 140mm rotors on my
Cannondale CX bike were more than adequate.

I saw something in the back. Didn't look like a rack mount but if they
are that would be very commendable. You probably aren't a clyde if 140mm
rotors work.

I don't need a cargo bike. I want something fun to ride on gravel and
through the hills on the way home. If I found myself in need of a
rack, I'd buy a beater frane with rack mounts -- which I might do.

So you don't carry much back and forth? I did a valley trip yesterday.
Hot day and the extra water alone filled more than one pannier. On the
way back there are no fountains until 3mi before I am home.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/