Old October 11th 08, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith

Default Today's ride

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 22:50:04 +0100, Tom Crispin
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 22:12:44 +0100, Dave Kahn
wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sat, 11 Oct 2008, Tom Crispin wrote:

It was OK until...
http://www.britishschoolofcycling.co...y/PA113073.JPG

I was about to suggesting sending that to Warrington, but then i checked
their site and saw that they're currently exhibiting something
strikingly similar:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.me...ctober2008.htm

I still think it's a good one to send to FOTM although I suspect there's
quite a lot of (pedestrian only) space to the left that the picture
doesn't show. It is irritating when temporary road signs are placed
across cycle tracks as they often are, but on the other hand it does
indicate how seriously they are taken by officialdom.

There is some footway but not a lot.
http://www.britishschoolofcycling.co...y/PA113097.JPG

They give two weeks' notice of the road closure, but no notice of the
current cycle path closure. I don't know if the Lower Lea Crossing is
a TfL road or local authority road. I suspect it's TfL.

Earlier in the ride we cycled around the Millennium Dome. The
cycleway there was dug up with a sign saying, "Cyclists dismount and
walk your bike along the footway." Why can't they say something
sensible like, "Cyclist path closed, cyclists please use the footway
with consideration for other users."

Experience has shown that cyclists need very clear instructions.

They cannot be trusted to cycle on the pavement and give consideration
to other users as most pedestrian know.

Therefore it is necessary to make it absolutely clear - get off your
bike and walk like everyone else on the pavement.

Seems reasonable.

--
I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy Chapman)
Some evidence shows that helmeted cyclists are more likely to hit