Old February 9th 10, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

Default 6'7 guy needs help looking for a road bike for a 585 Mile 6DayCharity Bike Ride

On Feb 8, 8:26*pm, Paul wrote:
Hey Everybody, I'm definitely a non experienced cyclist and have
signed up to do the AIDS LifeCycle bike ride from San Francisco to Los
Angeles to raise money for HIV/AIDS. I dont really know what I got
myself into. I am 6'7 220 lbs with a 36 inch inseam. I thought I would
be able to borrow a friends bike for the ride but unfortunately the
largest I found is a 20 inch frame. I'm looking to spend as little as
possible (under 500 if possible). I do not plan to continue cycling as
a sport. I just want to find a comfortable bike that fits me for this
6 Day trek. Any recommendations on where I could buy a 24inch/61CM
bike for my price range or better yet find someone who would be
willing to help me help others by lending me a bike?

Again, I am fairly new to this and any info would be greatfully
appreciated!!!

-Paul S.

I know there's some large guys that read this group, so hopefully
they'll chime in. Unfortunately I think the only way to meet your
budget is to buy used; I do remember seeing some very large frames on
eBay a while back while keeping an eye out for a touring bike. I
suspect that even if you are already in good shape you may want to log
some miles on the bike before starting out just to get comfortable
with it and also to get comfortable with cycling in general. To just
hop on and ride more than, say, 30-50 miles in a day with no training
could be problematic. You'll also want to know what kind of seat you
prefer, what kind of bar tape, gloves, shorts, etc. before you start,
otherwise there's a potential for unhappiness unless you get it right
up front. Keep in mind that you'll also want to take some tools with
you to make on the fly adjustments to seat and bar position, and to
repair any flats that you may have or minor mechanical failures.. I'd
recommend a multi-tool, a spare tube, a "gimme" shirt pocket
screwdriver (if your bike is old enough to have regular screw heads
instead of all Allen type) some tire levers (I'm assuming you'll have
clinchers) a patch kit, a Presta to Schraeder adapter (so you can top
up your tires at the gas station) a few light wrenches in appropriate
sizes for whatever nuts you may have on your bike, and probably a
couple other things that I'm forgetting. I have all that stuff
stashed in a water bottle that I carry in the second cage on my bike,
but based on the mileage you're planning on riding you might want to
get a seat bag instead, because you may want the ability to carry two
water bottles full of stuff to drink. You'll need a pump and/or a CO2
inflator as well, unless you plan on relying on the generosity of
others if you get a flat somewhere away from a gas station. Probably
ought to have room to carry some snacks as well.

I'd say that if you don't currently have a bike, and it sounds like
you don't, if there's any way that you could get fitted for a new
bike, even if you don't buy it (might have to pay for that; I know
there's at least one LBS near me that will fit you to a bike for a
fee) that would be helpful, then you would know what frame size/
geometry you are looking for. 61 cm might even be a little small for
you; I'm 5'11" and ride a 57cm frame comfortably.

My personal preference would be for a "touring" style bike, which is
basically a road bike with wider than normal (28-32mm) tires, slightly
more relaxed geometry, and braze-ons for racks etc. but still with
drop handlebars, but again, you need to find what works for you.

nate