Old July 20th 18, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Making America into Amsterdam

On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 7:53:52 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 7/20/2018 5:04 AM, Duane wrote:
On 19/07/2018 8:31 PM, sms wrote:

snip

Perhaps they opened some new parking lots for those bike paths. That
has got to be it. As we recently learned "almost ALL trail users in
almost all areas use a car to haul their bike to the trail." LOL.
Usenet is always amusing.

I don't live out in the wilds with mountain lions and sabre tooth
tigers.Â* I live in a city so the paths I'm talking about are ALL close
to parking.Â* Like my driveway.Â* Or my office parking lot.Â* Or the
streets they parallel.

Yes, that's how the bike paths are where I am to. Occasionally, if they
pass through a park, there are parking lots. Many of the paths are along
creeks and rivers which had many parks next to them long before a path
was put in. The American River Path is one such example. It's often
convenient to put paths next to waterways because the path can take
advantage of the existing underpasses under roads.

I was astounded to learn that "almost ALL trail users in almost all
areas use a car to haul their bike to the trail."

Seriously, some people need to learn that life exists outside their own
neighborhood, and that not all areas of the country are exactly the
same, so they don't make statements that generalize based on their own
limited experiences. Certainly people from Silicon Valley and the Bay
Area, that have never experienced the eastern U.S., experience culture
shock when they go back east, or to the deep south.

Sort of OT, but I was riding to work this morning through the South Waterfront in a road surface bike lane, and two suburbanite young women -- one with a baby jogger -- came running straight at me. I said something to the effect of "what the f*** are you thinking?" And then there was an older guy doing the same thing. This is like a bike lane super-highway area and yet you have these clowns who just don't get it. I'm seeing a lot of this lately -- it has become a thing to run in the bike lane, and it is the same young hip demographic for the most part. I'm getting tired of yelling at them. We need some of Muzi's shooters to clean out the bike lanes.

-- Jay Beattie.