Old July 22nd 18, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Making America into Amsterdam

On 2018-07-20 18:58, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/20/2018 10:53 AM, sms wrote:

I was astounded to learn that "almost ALL trail users in almost all
areas use a car to haul their bike to the trail."

Seriously, some people need to learn that life exists outside their
own neighborhood, and that not all areas of the country are exactly
the same, so they don't make statements that generalize based on their
own limited experiences. Certainly people from Silicon Valley and the
Bay Area, that have never experienced the eastern U.S., experience
culture shock when they go back east, or to the deep south.

Here's a link to survey data from 20 trails in Pennsylvania and New
Jersey:
https://www.railstotrails.org/resour...in al_Rev.pdf

"Purpose of Trail Use: Health 56%Â*Â*Â* Recreation 38%Â*Â*Â* Training 3% Other
2%Â*Â* Commuting 1%"

That's not "my own neighborhood." That's the next state over, and the
one past that. 20 trails. Ten years of surveys.

Why no comment on the data, Stephen? Joerg?

Because it is either wrong or you picked a trail with hardly any
connections to destinations where people need to go.

Good grief, Joerg, are you really that bad at reading? I didn't pick "a
trail." That was a survey of _20_ trails in two states. If I _had_
picked just one trail could certainly be cherry picking - that is,
finding a rare example that agreed with my point. I did the opposite!

Want to have an
example where this worked most excellently? Voila:

https://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/61031

Quote "The Guadalupe River Trail is used more frequently for active
transportation, with 35.4% reporting commuting to/from work".

Ah! Good example of picking a rare example that agreed with your point!

Since you are so often confused, try to read upthread to review: My
original point was not talking about just one trail. I was talking about
the general case for bike trails across the U.S. Almost all use is
recreation, NOT transportation. Even a dozen carefully cherry picked
examples do not disprove that fact.

--
- Frank Krygowski