Old August 13th 17, 08:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Octalink ES25 replacement?

On 2017-08-12 08:21, Tosspot wrote:
On 12/08/17 16:14, Joerg wrote:

snip

I might be able to live with a 3mm chain line offset (have to check the
M591 front derailer though) but the other issue is that they supposedly
only fit older Shimano crank sets because of the 9mm splines:

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...or=1&minor= 6

The cranks have to go on super-snug because I am a low cadence masher
and often ride with a substantial load on the bike.

I would be very wary of 3mm. It may work with a dérailleur setup but on
my hub gears it needs to be the right side of 2mm or aggro ensues.

Yes, I'd also prefer an exact match. Those 10-speed deals are really
fickle but the more serious MTBs in 2014 weren't available with the good
old 7-speed anymore.

To tell you the truth, if it were up to me I'd still be riding 8 speeds. Hell, you always shift twice on a 10 speed so it's really a waste of time to have it. But you can't get any new parts such as cassettes in good ratios so I'm stuck with 10 speeds. They did the same damn thing with me with 9 speed parts.

In Bangkok, which is very flat, I still ride with down tube shifters
:-) and don't miss not having indexed shifters at all. Today I took a
new route - about 55 Km out and back and other then two bridges over
canals I shifted 3 times. And one of those was because it was hot and
I was getting tired :-)

I can still get 9 speed stuff here, in fact you can still buy 7 speed
stuff although it is the low end Shimano models. I see a lot of new
low end bikes with 7 speed derailers and often twist grip shifters.
--
Cheers,

John B.