Old August 13th 17, 03:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default Octalink ES25 replacement?

John B. wrote:

:I can still get 9 speed stuff here, in fact you can still buy 7 speed
:stuff although it is the low end Shimano models. I see a lot of new
:low end bikes with 7 speed derailers and often twist grip shifters.

Seven speed stuff is still available to OEMS (I don't know how much is
available to someone like AMuzi) because it's cheap. Freewheels, not
freehubs, and super low-end everything. All the tooling is paid for
years ago, and they crank it out for the $100 bike market. Its going
to be around for a while, because it's about as complicated as can be
made to work on bikes put together by nimwits. (A cow-orker bought
one from somewhere that had the fork on backwards.)

--
sig 50